nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Clove currants

  • From: "D Stubbs" <dsmndel@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Clove currants
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 21:36:55 -0500

We have about 25 Crandalls and even more Titania black currants. Both are amazingly productive. It's funny how some Crandall plants start ripening at least 6 weeks before others do. I agree the staggered ripening is a pain.
No way to know if you're tasting the same plant / flavor  as we have. I certainly do enjoy eating them fresh, but wait till they are quite ripe.
They get much larger than black currants, like nice table grapes. I enjoy the flavor fresh much more than that of black currants, but use both almost exclusively for juicing.  (I posted on this forum last year about this time about how we do that, and it ended up in Pomona as well.)
So cook em just enough to juice them, add a bit of sugar and a most delicious nutritious drink can come.
Del