nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Clove currants

  • From: Lee Reich <garden@leereich.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Clove currants
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:43:20 -0400

I think if you let clove currant get thoroughly ripe, you might enjoy it. I really like the fruit. Then again, Crandall is not a clone, so there is some variation. As I stated in my book Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden....

            The most widely grown clove currant was found in the wild by R. W. Crandall of Newton, Kansas, in 1888. ‘Crandall’, as it was called, had the virtue of bearing tasty fruits up to three-quarters of an inch in diameter. Unfortunately, many plants sold as ‘Crandall’ were seedlings, so plants were variable, leading some writers to report the flavor as good, others to report “tough skin, unpleasant flavor” (fruits on my plants have tender skins and a very nice flavor). In 1867, ‘Deseret’ was selected. This clove currant cultivar was productive and bore large, dark fruits, “pleasant and slightly tart.” ‘Jelly’, another cultivar, had a tough skin, but an “agreeable” taste, and ‘Vermillion’, ‘Golden Prolific’, and ‘Amber’ evidently were cultivars with brightly colored fruits.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
The Pruning Book
Weedless Gardening