nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blackberries in Nebraska

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blackberries in Nebraska
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:54:10 -0500

Bill, I won't try to talk you into blackberries, since you're at a stage that
planting one thing means giving up something else (we all reach that phase at
some point). But I will confirm your supermarket experience with
blackberries probably doesn't compare with home grown blackberries.

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me, Mark!

I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I don't like black raspberries.
I've tried wild blackcaps and domesticated blackcaps, and like neither. To
me, black raspberries taste as if they have a hint of hard boiled egg.
However, my daughter prefers blackcaps to blackberries. I don't understand
this, but neither can I understand how my wife and son like pickled
artichokes. Each to his own.

Yes, indeed. I must say that I LOVE the taste of my bird-planted black raspberries. But I've got one plant (I mentioned not long ago), that seems to be something different - bigger berries, later ripening, etc. - which is really pretty bland, in comparison. Still not bad, though.

And I like hard-boiled eggs, too, not to mention pickled artichokes. Heh, heh.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
In childhood our credulity serves us well. It helps us to pack, with extraordinary rapidity, our skulls full of the wisdom of our parents and our ancestors. But if we don't grow out of it in the fullness of time, our ... nature makes us a sitting target for astrologers, mediums, gurus, evangelists, and quacks. We need to replace the automatic credulity of childhood with the constructive skepticism of adult science. - Richard Dawkins