nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Red currants

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Red currants
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:41:18 -0500

A pie very similar to gooseberry can be made with unripe grapes. Pick them before they start to ripen and the seeds will still be soft and unnoticeable when cooked. Use a standard gooseberry pie recipe.

That's interesting,.. if I ever have enough grapes that I want to waste them this way. Heh, heh. Seriously, grapes are too good ripe (something I can't say about most gooseberries - not bad, but not great). Also, gooseberry pie has such a delicious... gooseberry flavor. Well, I suppose grape pie would have its own flavor. And I do love pie! :)

I think you are completely right about red currant pie, it is not worth it
being watery, unappetizing to look at and not a great flavour (you see I have
tried). Of course black currants are quite a different proposition; with
apples or on their own they make a wonderful, I mean superior!, pie.

Well, that sounds interesting, too. But I really don't want to eat TOO much pie. And I don't cook, myself.

For reds the usual English alternative along the general lines of my simple
red-currants-with-peaches is Summer Pudding. If you have other (usually red
or reddish) fruit, say raspberries, cherries or blackberries the combination
in an uncooked pie (with `crust' made of bread) is excellent -- I'm sure you
can find a recipe easily enough and it IS good.

Thanks! I'll check that out.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
We are as gods and might as well get good at it. - Stewart Brand