nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Unsweet melons

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Unsweet melons
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 08:53:28 -0700

I would never try melons in this maritime climate, but raspberries and blackberries that have been sweet all summer ripen either sour or tasteless by October. This could be for two reasons: lack of sun and its warmth, or the onset of our rainy season in October which might give the plants enough water to dilute their juice. (It certainly splits any tomatoes still growing.)

Diane Whitehead
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
on the Pacific

Road's End Farm wrote:

The drastic drop off in flavor many report in the fall might be due to the reduction in sunlight. A cool, cloudy season can also reduce flavor.