nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Unsweet melons

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Unsweet melons
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 17:34:53 -0500

Gordon wrote:
"I do have a black gumbo tight clay soil which is not ideal for melons."

Maybe that's my problem too.  The soil is plenty fertile, but clay based.  It grows good sized melons if I keep them watered, but flavor is problematic.  With Steve up north and Gordon down south having the same  trouble as I, it confirms it's not related to climate.  Maybe good flavored melons can only be grown on sand?

Mark
KS