nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Unsweet melons

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Unsweet melons
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 10:14:54 -0400

On May 22, 2008, at 12:24 AM, Donna &/or Kieran wrote:

<x-tad-smaller> I really do think that the same tomato variety can be good one place and boring another.
</x-tad-smaller>

This is my experience also; and it's not only a matter of large climate differences, such as Florida versus New York; a variety with great flavor grown on a farm on one side of the hill may be bland grown on the other. I think it's a matter of the exact soil composition combined with microclimate.

I think this is particularly true of tomatoes, but also suspect it's true to some extent of just about everything. [warning: offtopic crop mention coming up] The only potato fingerling I ever got a good crop of was one known for its good flavor, and recommended to me by several other growers within an hour's drive of here. Grown on my place, the crop was great, but the flavor was awful: not only my opinion, but that of other people also. I grew several other potato varieties in the same field, in the same year, with the same growing methods, that tasted great.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly