nafex - [NAFEX] Unsweet melons

  • From: halegp@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Unsweet melons
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:34:27 -0400

I am in zone7/8 in north Texas so I am not too far north for melons.  I do have a black gumbo tight clay soil which is not ideal for melons.  I have raised on one variety of melon which had a decent sweet flavor.  That was the Christmas melon.  I have been told to stop watering the vines after the melons are about half size but if I did that the vines would die in the summer heat from lack of water.  They require lots of water to survive.  I have tried various varieties over the last thirty or so years without success.  I had a labor across the street from me who said he never had such a problem but the melons he gave me were just like the ones I grew; tasteless and not sweet.

 Gordon Hale
Grand Prairie, Texas