nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Unsweet melons

  • From: Edward Self <txrarefruitgrowers@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Unsweet melons
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:18:33 -0700 (PDT)

I live West of Houston in Katy, Texas. I have been able to grow sweet melons in our clay soil. I always plant 4 or 5 seeds to the hill and keep the 2 most vigorous plants. I put a 3 to 4 inch layer of oak leaves and pine needle mix around all of the plants. This helps regulate the moisture around the plants. We get severe rains and then sometimes it is so dry we have cracks in the ground in areas that are not irrigated.

Good Luck!
Ed Self
Katy, Texas

"Robert C. Mullins" <mullins@gaelicmysts.com> wrote:
I think I might have the same problem here. This is the first year I am
growing melons. I am growing the standard heirloom 'Black Diamond', but
after talking with many of the locals, they say our dirt is to
'clay-ish' to grow decent melons. I am going to keep them alive and see
what happens but if anyone has any hints to working with melons in
clay-type soil, please send a life-line. ;)

--
Robert C. Mullins M.S. IT
GaelicMysts, Owner