nafex - [NAFEX] grafting questions

  • From: "Erdman, James" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grafting questions
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 08:34:19 -0500

Hello

I have been doing some grafting for just a few years—tried it with no luck at all many years ago, and finally took the class the Bob Purvis offered a couple of years ago.  I had pretty good luck the first couple of years, although many didn’t make it through their first winter, but last year nothing made it through the summer.

I grafted about 20 trees on rootstock that I had ordered, with scions both from friends, my own trees, and some from folks on this list.  They all had good growth at first, and the new growth was 9 inches to 18 inches, with most around a foot.  About half of them were put in the ground at that point, and half were left in the gallon sized pots that I started them in.  By mid-June, every one of them had died completely.  The ones in pots were on the north side of the house so were in shade during mid-day.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI