nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting questions

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting questions
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:01:56 -0500

I got some rootstocks this year that had been undercut for summer budding.  I don't know how there was enough root to keep the top alive.  Could it be that Jim's apple rootstock plants were big enough to push growth, but too short on roots to keep going once it got hot and dry?  If they have enough roots and lose the graft, they should come up from the roots.  To die completely -  "the roots looked pathetic" - do you mean they looked sick and dead, or there was only a little bit of root?  Ohhhhh.... where did your potting soil come from?  Anything from under a walnut tree or any old sawdust that might have come from a walnut?  We've talked about walnuts before here.    Donna