nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting questions

  • From: "Erdman, James" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting questions
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:33:42 -0500

From: nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Jwlehman@aol.com
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 9:28 AM
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org

Hi Jim,

I can understand to some extent those dying that were taken out of the pots and planted. But those in the shade that were grafted and had put on new growth shouldn't have died.

Now to complicate things I've planted bare root pawpaws in August with good success which defies all rules of planting trees.

When were they transplanted from the pots? Were the transplanted (and potted) trees well watered and constantly? Could something else be in play, such as a lawn service spraying herbicides? Neighboring farm spraying Roundup? If either were the case you would have lost more trees and shrubs. What did you water with? Fertigated? Spray insecticide?

All of them were watered adequately—pots not flooded and also not dried out.  No  neighbors within miles doing any kind of spraying.  Watered with rainwater from a rainbarrel.   All of the apples grafted to the same rootstock died.  As I recall, the ones put in the ground were transplanted in late May or early June, after they were showing good growth.  When I pulled up dead ones in the garden or emptied the pots, the roots looked pathetic.  My first thought was a rootstock problem, but I don’t know much about that.   This year I got rootstock from a different source, and also have some seedling rootstock to graft, so may be able to tell if any problems this year are related to rootstocks.

Jim