nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Organicism

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Organicism
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:37:23 -0500

On Dec 15, 2007, at 1:20 AM, Mark & Helen Angermayer wrote:

  I wasn't suggesting nicotine was approved for organic use, rather my point was just because something is natural doesn't mean it's automatically safer than a synthetic.

And organic growers are perfectly aware of that. I've never heard anyone who knows anything about the subject argue otherwise. Arsenic is natural, after all.

<x-tad-smaller> If you know of any, I'd be interested in any university studies that have made a go of organic fruit production in the Midwest.
</x-tad-smaller>

Not really my area and can't spend much time researching this; but I just googled "organic apples Midwest" and found, on the first page of hits, reference to a number of growers doing this; and to a number of university studies in process. One link mentioned "organic orchards projects ongoing at Michigan State University, Iowa State University, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and starting at the University of Wisconsin-Madison" so you might look into that. There wasn't a link to those studies in that article, but you could look up the universities and contact them. -- I don't know what stage those studies are at; it's my experience with universities that interest in research in anything organic usually follows many years of individual growers working out what's possible; the universities lag, but eventually get on board.

That one page of results also produced reference to a number of farms growing and selling organic apples in the Midwest. So I suspect it is possible.

As far as the rest of your post: I'm not an apple grower, let alone an apple grower in your area; so I don't feel competent to advise you as to possible methods of dealing with the problems you had. You could, if you felt like it, try googling for addresses and contacting some of the people who are apparently actually doing this, and ask them.

Of course, you might find out that whatever they're doing doesn't seem to you that it would suit your particular operation: it's possible, for instance, that you might think that whatever they suggested required more labor than you felt able to supply; or that they might be using variety selection, and you might not want to switch to the varieties that work for them; or there might be other things about your operation that might preclude your taking their advice. Or you might try what works for them, and it still might not work for you. (Farming is like that, organic or not.) So maybe you won't be an organic grower. OK by me.