nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Organicism

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Organicism
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:09:25 -0800

So as a chemist who's always grown organically, where's my cult?

Organic produce should be just as pretty, at least, as the conventional
stuff. There are almost no pests or diseases that cannot be handled with
organic methods; plum curculio is an extremely difficult exception, and I'm
thankful that we don't have to deal with it out West. I think if we did, my
food coop would have kept IPM options; as it is now, we have only organic
produce - and it really is the best in town. I'm not being chauvinistic;
I'm barely involved in the coop except as a shopper, and I know many local
grocers and gardeners. I wonder if some organic growers still think that
organic means doing nothing for pest control beyond improving the soil, or
not even that? You still need to be diligent, and use organic controls as
needed. I would never assume someone would buy blemished or otherwise
sorry-looking food over good-looking stuff because it's organic; organic
farmers here do best when quality and price are both competitive.

~ Stephen