nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Organicism

  • From: "Naomi" <dragon-star@cableone.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Organicism
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 07:39:23 -0700

Just because Nicotine has not been approved does not mean that well meaning folks with “old tyme” knowledge do not use it and pass along their knowledge.  I remember being told that cigarette ash put in with squash seed would prevent squash borers.  (It did too.. I tried it).

 More recently a well meaning tenant was giving my goats a pinch of tobacco from time to time because they liked it and it killed worms.  The one ho liked it them most aborted.  That was when I found out about it and asked him not to ever do that again.

The North west is an excellent place to grow apples.. except for the coddling moths.  There is considerable work being done here to find methods that are safe AND effective.  The PNW is a major source of commercial apples in the US.  Of course we could import from China.. they have put in a lot of orchards.

Naomi