nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Organicism

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Organicism
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:16:27 -0600

At 07:04 PM 12/13/2007, gordon h. wrote:
As a newbie I would like to know if the general theme of this site is the promotion of so called "organic farming/gardening/orcharding"?
No. While the vast majority of us are attuned to being good stewards of the land and environment, most are well aware that strict 'organic' methods, eschewing all technological advancements, in orchard management, are folly.
While I try to be 'green' whenever possible, I don't hesitate for a moment to judiciously utilize the chemical herbicides/pesticides that are available, if I need them - but again, judiciously. I'd say the same is true for the vast majority of list participants. We'll mulch and use green manures, or animal manures, for that matter, but if a fungicide or insecticide spray is called for to control a certain pest/disease, most of us here will use it.

'Newbies' are welcome here - and as Steve or Lon noted, newcomers often bring a new perspective, or revive an old topic for discussion. While opinions are frequently strong, discussions rarely become rancorous, and I've not noticed NAFEX listers getting their nose out of joint, 'taking their ball and going home', whenever someone disagrees with them - as has been the case on some other lists I participate on.

Lucky