nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Edible Acorns

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Edible Acorns
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:28:39 -0500

At 10:39 AM 9/14/2007, Hector wrote:
I agree with Donna. Shelling acorns and chestnuts take about equal time
(although you do get more from chestnuts because of greater size).
But Hector, if you can grow and ripen some of the Southern/Western bur oak selections, I'd stack them up against the largest chestnuts I've seen, and the acorns would come out the winner. I've got one selection, made from a tree on the campus of the vet school at Auburn AL that runs in the neighborhood of 6-8 acorns per pound - with the cap removed. I've got some seedlings, grown from acorns sent by friends in TX & OK that have acorns of similar size, if memory serves correctly.
Most bur oak seedlings have started producing decent crops of acorns by 10 years of age. Heck, I've got grafted plums(Green Gage) and pears older than that, that I'm still waiting to fruit.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY