nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Edible Acorns

  • From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Edible Acorns
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:48:22 -0500

I've had acorns before. There's a variety grown in Europe and the middle east called Quercus Cocifera that produce large acorns. If you boil the acorns in water, that removes the bitterness from it. It then tastes like chestnuts.
Q. coccifera is an evergreen oak, the leaves resemble Holly. I'm not sure how compatible it would be on a decidouse tree.

Bass
zone 6, Pa