nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Edible Acorns

  • From: Michael Nave <jmichaelnave@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Edible Acorns
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:30:29 -0700 (PDT)

Chestnuts don't need leeching to become edible.
Leeching is work. Most acorns require repeated
leeching over the course of hours or days. You don't
have to grind chestnuts either.

As for taste, "chestnuts are a real treat roasted and
eaten on their own". No one will ever say that about
an unleeched acorn.

--- Donna &/or Kieran <holycow@cookeville.com> wrote:

> RE comments from Michael:
>
> "even after you go through all of the work
> you have to do to make an acorn edible, the chestnut
> still tastes much better."
>
> Well now, I'm not so sure about that. I don't
> really find that large acorns
> are more work to shell than chestnuts, and my
> blender never once complained
> about the effort of grinding acorns. Leaching by
> simply pouring off the
> water and adding more, followed by a few seconds
> more zapping, was also
> easy. As for taste... I find chestnuts are a real
> treat roasted and eaten
> on their own, but when added to anything else I
> think they are unbelievably
> bland. After the meal I say, "There were chestnuts
> in that, could you taste
> them?" And no, my husband couldn't taste them
> either. Sure you can add
> them to bread, but it will just taste like bread.
> Add them to soup, and
> ho-hum. Add leached acorns to bread and it's an
> amazing treat. You'll be
> able to smell and taste nuts, but will be totally
> unable to put your finger
> on exactly what kind of nut it was.

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.