nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Edible Acorns

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Edible Acorns
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:34:56 EDT

In a message dated 9/10/2007 12:34:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time, gfstone@bellsouth.net writes:

At the recent nafex conf. mention was made of the development of an edible
acorn. Does anyone have info. on this? My thought is to graft scion wood or
buds from this culitivar to local oak trees.
Geoffrey Stone
Black Mountain, NC

Hi Jeff,

Eatable oaks (Definition???) are referred to as sweet oaks. Don Cobb who is with Cornell Univ. is an expert on this subject and has been collecting near sweet oaks for years. I have about 12 seedlings of his best selections, but they haven't fruited yet.

You will find more interest in this subject with Northern Nut Growers Assoc. WWW.Nutgrowing.org

I am forwarding your question to Don.

Jerry

See what's new at http://www.aol.com