nafex - [NAFEX] Evans Cherry, grafting, ripening, harvesting

  • From: Del Stubbs <northernlights2n@yahoo.com>
  • To: rmelrose@danvilleVT.net, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Evans Cherry, grafting, ripening, harvesting
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 04:58:06 -0700 (PDT)

In May I w&t grafted a different tart cherry onto an Evans, it is doing well
so far, I
plan to be using this particular tree as a mother tree for various tart trees
I am
trialling.
I just removed (August 8) a nylon stocking I had placed over and entire
branch of Evans
cherries to keep the birds off - so I could actually try them fully ripe. It
worked
perfectly. Wonderful! I don't have a brix tester, but they sure gained
sweetness. Very
soft and juicy. Many fell as I was picking, that's ripe. I picked many with
stems on with
scissors and will be trying them in brandy. Any good recipes?
I remember once seeing a homemade cherry harvester - it was a large cone
with a slit in
front, attached to the loader of a small tractor. It would be driven up to a
tree, the
tree gently shaken, and cherries would then fall down the cone. I don't know
if this was
done multiple times in a season as cherries ripened but I would guess so.
Del