nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 55, Issue 14

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: rmelrose@danvilleVT.net, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 55, Issue 14
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 14:04:30 -0500

At 09:25 AM 8/8/2007, you wrote:
What about the other way around? Has anyone successfully grafted another
cherry onto Bali/Evans? Since it root-sprouts so readily it is an obvious
candidate and would presumably lead to dwarfing if it is graft compatible
at all.

Using a rampantly-suckering plant as a rootstock?
Well, following my experiences grafting various European & Japanese hybrid plums onto native P.angustifolia(Chickasaw plum) suckers, I don't know that I'd recommend it - I've got - or would have, if I didn't keep them mowed - a veritable forest of P.angustifolia suckers popping up for 25 ft in all directions away from the originals, and, as I've largely abandoned all stonefruits except for Chickasaw plum as a total waste of time and space, the 'improved' varieties that I originally grafted onto the Chickasaws are either long-since dead, or largely overwhelmed by shoots from the rootstock.

Lucky