nafex - [NAFEX] Bali as rootstock?

  • From: rmelrose@danvilleVT.net
  • To: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Cc: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Bali as rootstock?
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 16:09:22 -0400 (EDT)

You are probably right Lucky -- although I was actually wondering about
compatibility rather than the general wisdom of the idea. In fact I have
not seen Bali/Evans actually `sucker' in the usual sense so it may be that any
successful graft onto it would not be overwhelmed by suckers -- just
surrounded by a Bali forest if not helped a bit!

I am also coming around to your point of view on the matter of plums --
although I am up here in Vermont and still have some hope left. I think the
rampantly rootsprouting stock I have is Western Sand Plum, anyway it is
whatever came under the `Pipestone' that I bought years ago. I have grafted
all sorts of things onto this and have a thicket of plums of various
sorts. Still, my total reward is about 10 plums a year and seem to lose
about one tree a year. Brown Rot is my most serious problem, followed by
Bacterial Canker and Black Knot (I think), but pollination seems to be
seriously lacking as well -- hence my efforts to make a denser and more
genetically varied growth (although this rather goes against conventional
wisdom for treatment of Brown Rot). Maybe if I relented and used a heavy
fungicide, like `fenbuconazole' I might make some progress against these
things, but I doubt I will ever do that, for one thing I am very sensitive
to most of these chemicals (probably to whatever is in the base). As you
say, giving up is one option!

Richard