nafex - Re: [NAFEX] travel to Clemson

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] travel to Clemson
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 11:13:24 -0500

For anyone driving from the west, I talked to Ann Peck, rose fancier extraordinare who lives near Knoxville and travels a lot. She says that the interstates over the mountains are jammed with traffic, and that bridge inspections were making things worse. However, she says that all other routes are worse. I asked her about two routes I was looking at. She says that 25 down from I-40 into Greenville is an excellent road. She also said Maggie Valley was nice, but it looks like you can only get there by going through the dreaded Sevierville or Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg routes. I asked about going Waynesville to Brevard to Pickens Sc via the Blue Ridge parkway. She said the speed limit is 45 on it, but it is crowded with octogenarians driving VERY slowly. She says that Junaluska has a nice old resort, very historical. The only way I can convince my husband to go to the meeting is to do some camping on the way to or from, so we will have to take some of these slower, more scenic routes at some point. I'll want to get a good look at the country side, the plants will be so different.
One year we went over the mountains and through the Shenandoah Valley. I was struck by how big and healthy and lush everything was. Apple trees were not only bigger than here, but they had a lot more blooms. And the lilacs in bloom, beautiful! They usually freeze out here. You know, if there was a condo selected for frustrated NAFEXers, I guess it would be in CA or Michigan for the whole harvest season. We could select which crop we wanted to be there for, bring coolers and a food dryer, and go pick or buy and process. It would make me simultaneously gloriously happy and intensely miserable to be in Michigan for the cherry or apple harvest.
Donna