nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blueberry Question

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "Pete" <ruger4570@bellsouth.net>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blueberry Question
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:48:00 -0500

Pete, I think the highbush taste pretty much the same as the rabbiteyes, but I read that the northern lowbush are sweet and bland. Whatever I was reading said that one of the most commonly grown commercial varieties sold fresh in stores is the reason so many people think they don't like blueberries.
The very best blueberries I ever ate were picked on a back road in south GA. We saw a couple of acres of heavily laden plants with a small house in the middled. The people in the house were tenants, they gave us some buckets and said they didn't know why the crop wasn't being harvested that year, but that they would take the money for the berries we picked. (Seeing as they had a scale I think they were legit as caretakers of the place.) The berries were huge, like the size of nickels, and had an incredibly aromatic, almost piney flavor. I think part of why they were so good was that they were so very ripe. I have wondered if the variety might have been 'Cape Fear', considered one of the best and adapted to the Gulf coast. Donna