nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Aronia x Sorbus ; Sorbus domestica

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Aronia x Sorbus ; Sorbus domestica
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:29:36 -0800

I have a row of Sorbus domestica seedlings started from seed collected from some of the trees at Luther Burbank's plantings in Sebastopol, California. Mine are extremely astringent, but any bump or bruise triggers something in the fruit that gets rid of the astringency very quickly. A bruised fruit becomes edible within a few hours, though the flavor keeps changing if it sits for a full day or more.
I once discussed this tree with the late Larry McGraw of Sheep Rock, Oregon who had a number of old seedlings. Larry was the most avid fruit explorer I've ever met. He said the wood is hard enough to dull an ax very quickly, and he could only grow the trees from seed. He had never been able to graft them successfully. That fits with what I have experienced. I would be interested to know how they are propagated in Germany.
=Lon Rombough