nafex - [NAFEX] Currants

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Currants
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 23:05:42 -0500

On Jan 2, 2007, at 7:53 PM, Thomas Olenio wrote:

It was written;

It's interesting that you mention black currants, because I didn't plant
any of those (except for the native species, the clove or buffalo
currant) due to the almost universal description that they would not
appeal to "American tastes." When it comes to food, I eat - and I enjoy
- just about anything, but there's no sense in planting fruit that's not
especially tasty when there's so much fruit that IS.

=====
Hello,
. . .
You will find Crandall, Clove, and Buffalo currant similar in taste to red
currants. These varieties do not have the "spiciness" of true black
currants.

You can buy black currant flavored tea bags in most large markets. If you
want to experience the spiciness of black currants you will find it in these
teas.

Bill,

I don't think you will find that Crandall Currants taste like red currants. I grow both, and they are very different. The Crandall Currants are less tart, much less juicy, and have a strong "fruity" flavor that the red currants lack. I like sour food, and I prefer the red currants, but the Crandalls are probably more "accessible". They are also very nice with apples in a pie, if you ever decide to get adventuresome.

Black currants are better (to me) cooked, but cooking them couldn't be easier. You can take a handful, mash them with some sugar in a ceramic ramekin or a wide/shallow mug, and nuke them in the microwave for a few seconds, until they are a little bubbly. You now have fresh black currant jam, which is truly delicious. If you want to find out what they taste like, see if you can fund some black currant concentrate (like Ribena).

Other possibilities for small amounts of land with less-than-full sun include blueberries and alpine strawberries. I've taken to tucking individual alpine strawberry plants here and there between rocks and near walkways. I don't exactly get a "crop", but all summer long, when I am in the garden, I find a strawberry or two lurking under the leaves. They are wonderful popped into your mouth in the back yard with no preparation at all. They are best if you wait until they are very ripe. Blueberries require more of a commitment (of space, weeding, irrigation) and produce better with full sun, but the bushes are small and again, it is very nice to walk by and just pop some berries into your mouth.

Ginda