nafex - Re: [NAFEX] aronia

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] aronia
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 18:36:20 -0600

Wow and Dammit !

I like this club.....

I agree! I'm new to the list (and perhaps starting to wear out my welcome), but it's been very interesting so far!

I enjoy blackcurrants, but if I listened to others and never tried them, I would believe they have as much appeal as shoe leather. This is a wrong headed opinion in my assessment of ribes.

Unfortunately, I've never had the opportunity to try black currants, or any of the other unusual fruits we've been talking about. My local grocery store certainly doesn't carry them. So I pretty well have to go by comments from those who HAVE tried them.

It's interesting that you mention black currants, because I didn't plant any of those (except for the native species, the clove or buffalo currant) due to the almost universal description that they would not appeal to "American tastes." When it comes to food, I eat - and I enjoy - just about anything, but there's no sense in planting fruit that's not especially tasty when there's so much fruit that IS.

I am not sure why many believe a fruit that has to be cooked or amended is intrinsically bad.

I'm perfectly willing to eat cooked fruit,... but someone else is going to have to cook it for me! I live alone and I don't cook (OK, I can microwave a TV dinner). Yeah, maybe I could learn to cook, but the last thing I want to do is to start making myself fruit pies! Heh, heh.

Seriously, that's the only reason I'm looking for fruit that is good eating fresh.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (Zone 5)

--
It is not disbelief that is dangerous to our society; it is belief. - George Bernard Shaw