nafex - [NAFEX] testing patented stock

  • From: Del Stubbs <northernlights2n@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] testing patented stock
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 19:56:25 -0800 (PST)

Having read a few of the pixie crunch posts...
Here is an example of testing being of more value than a few cents of
royalties. We had
our first taste of the 'Pristine' apple I grafted 4 years ago on a Bud9 - it
is a product
of the 'Pri' series at Purdue Univ. I was so impressed with it for flavor
texture and
beauty that I thought to try it on 10 different trees ( w/ different
rootstocks and micro
environments). Grafting one didn't bother me - but it didn't feel right to
do 10 without
some attempt to locate the patent holder.
It took me a whopping 10 minutes of googling to find the prof. and his email
address. I
wrote him and asked how I pay for royalties, and of course I gave my
impressions of the
apple and the cold testing I am doing here. I got back quite a letter . This
was last
fall so I dont remember it exactly, but it was a bit like an artist's work
finally being
recognized after years of being ignored. He told me the particular reason it
had been
dropped from commercial production, whatever it was was insignificant to me
as a small
time grower. In the end he asked if I would report back on my rootstock &
cold testing of
it in lew of royalties. A fine exchange. Conclusion: try contacting the real
person who
patented a variety you're interested in, it might be the first time anyone
ever wrote
them! Del

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com zone 3 N. MN