nafex - Re: [NAFEX] small chestnut trees

  • From: Hans Brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] small chestnut trees
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:23:21 +0100

Hallo Donna,
again You, and you Americans are knowing much more about Castanea.
I am sure the biggest Castanea breeding countries are the USA and Japan.
In Europe we have many varieties, but in small Japan they have more than 200 varieties.
Most our varieties are C. sativa, but more and more we have also C. crenata x sativa crosses.
C. dentata is not used because of the known problems.
But up to my knowledge all your very interesting Castaneas are not used at Europe.
Just we have some in botanical gardens.
Anyhow more and more we have also the Chestnut blight at Europe, but our Castanea are
a little bit more resistant.
In Eurpe this "Ecker 1" is really a good choice for a smaller tree. With cutting we can keep a
Castanea at the size of an medium Apple tree.
Do you have nice fruiting Castanea with small growth at the USA? Zone 6?

ciao
Hans

Donna &/or Kieran schrieb:
Hans, You know, there ARE some small trees in the chestnut family. One of them is the chinkapin, and there are some crosses of chinkapins. I suppose the Chinese chink, C. henryi, actually gets pretty large, and the seguin isn't all that hardy. Donna

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----
to change other email options):