nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pomegaranate bagging results

  • From: athagan@atlantic.net
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pomegaranate bagging results
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:24:13 -0500

My variety Wonderful pomegranate set five fruit this year and the
squirrels got them all. They were near to full size, but not even
beginning to turn in color.

We'll get our first frost soon and I'll start feeding the squirrels
peanut butter bonbons when it does. I'll probably also wrap the
trunk with a piece of tin to discourage their climbing.

They pulled off (but didn't eat) green lemons as well.

.....Alan.

Quoting MARIE ASHTON <bwoodtx@verizon.net>:

> I am interested in the time of development when the squirrels ate
> the fruit.
> Did they eat it when it was small young fruit or when it was
> starting to
> mature? I would be surprised if they ate the young fruit, normally
> the skin
> of the pomegranate is very bitter. You must have a very sweet
> variety, the
> skin of the sweet varieties is not as bitter.
> Perhaps you could bag in only the later stages and then with the
> nylon as
> suggested.
> We have not had any squirrel or deer problems with our pomegranates
> and we
> have both but there is a lot of other stuff for them to eat.
>
> Regards,
> Oak Creek Orchard
> www.oakcreekorchard.com
> bwoodtx@verizon.net

This message was sent through Atlantic.Net Webmail.

Sick of pop-up ads and climbing prices?

Visit www.atlantic.net to get pure Internet for $19.95/mo.