nafex - Re: [NAFEX] If it stains....

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] If it stains....
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:12:00 -0800

The chemistry of anthocyanins does cause them to stain natural fibers readily; it’s also such that the stains can be removed by an oxidizing compound, such as Oxy-clean – so maybe a two part test?  Anthocyanins will also dehydrogenate oils, so maybe you could test the reaction on shortening.  Or you could just remember that dark-colored fruits and veg and good for you…

You know those red-brown stains you see in slightly overripe avocados?  That, too, is anthocyanin.  I notice those stained areas seem more fibrous, or at least less smooth; from there I wonder if that’s due to the action of anthocyanin on the avocado oil in the fruit.  So one odd question begets another…

~ Stephen