nafex - [NAFEX] Nagog pear description[ was Gritty...was Forelle]

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Nagog pear description[ was Gritty...was Forelle]
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 17:53:57 -0400

Do you mean
you found a buttery fleshed Bosc type?
Buttery, as in the way a
ripe Bartlett, or Comice are?
-Lon Rombough
This fall I'll taste it a 3rd time and try to answer your question then after a 3rd taste.  The particular pear has the following characteristics as a fruit and tree:
PLUS
spurry growth
naturally dwarf/semi-dwarf [or possibly just young]
bears with no spray or human intervention
juicy, very good taste, grit free
MINUS
fruit only keeps a few days after picked until dead ripe
nothing special in appearance..smooth, dull skin
size first two years I knew it was half to 2/3 size of a large commercial bartlett or bosc.

My diary has the following entry regarding this pear:

10/20/04 driving by the original Nagog Pear seedling, was astonished to see large pears hanging on it.  I didn't know those pears were that large, and I didn't know they would hang this late.

I have propagated this pear primarily for flavor and growing habit.  I don't think its a world beater.  I like the way it grows.  As for the buttery, I just  can't say.  It is very sweet and tasty, an easy rugged little tree...the original seedling is I'd say under 10'.  I don't have any reason to think its any better than anything else, but it produces all by itself without nearby pollinators, it might produce much more and larger under orchard conditions.  I don't see how this could supplant any commercial variety, because the size, except for the large size of 2004 [which I only saw, didn't gather] wouldn't replace.  But we'll watch it.

Charlie Paradise