nafex - [NAFEX] planting depth for apricot

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] planting depth for apricot
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 17:05:45 -0400

I had an arborist over this morning to look at an oak tree the neighbor has damaged, and as we walked past my apricot he said, "that fruit tree - the dirt is too high up on its truck. You ought to remove the mulch and dirt down until you find the 'shoulders'." I removed a little mulch and found some fibrous roots, but he said those were growing from the trunk, and I ought to dig deeper.

Is he right? It occurs to me that the rootstock wasn't grown from seed, and it might only have roots form the "trunk" - at least, apples sometimes are propagated that way, I think. The tree is a a puget gold from Burnt Ridge. I don't remember what the rootstock is.

Thanks,
Ginda