nafex - RE: [NAFEX] A roundup of weed control alternatives

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] A roundup of weed control alternatives
  • Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 00:43:56 +0000

For weed control I always ask a set of questions like
how much time & energy I have, today/this weekend?
how soon do I want bare ground for planting?
do I want to clear out everything?
can I handle all the plants at least as safely as working with an herbicide?

Examples:
If I have all day Saturday to prep for a planting on Sunday, and I want bare soil where there is now lawn, and I can peel it off with a spade or cutter... then doing it all by grunt-work is preferable to spraying (prepping, mixing/filling, hefting or hauling the sprayer, trying to avoid getting the drift on me & desireable plants, cleaning up thoroughly & safely, etc... Gad!)

If I have a year to prep an area, an area filled with poison ivy, and it's a larger area, without many desireable plants to protect or avoid, then I'll probably spray.

I once heard an interesting debate on which sod-killing method does more damage to environment-- repeated tillage (uses lots of fossil-fuels), or a spray or 2 of herbicide?