nafex - [NAFEX] Cornus Mas

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cornus Mas
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:28:25 -0400

I have two cornus mas, but I think they are too far apart to pollinate. I've decided that rather than move the smaller one, I will buy a new one this fall. (My soil is rocky, and if the roots have established much, it will be very hard to move the tree.) I will put it near the one that is doing better. There's more sun on that side.

Any advice on good cultivars, and/or good people to buy from? I prefer to buy from east of the rockies, partly because the shipping is less stressful for the plants, and partly because I'm afraid of sudden oak death. (Although I suppose we will all be seeing that all too soon.) Also, it's always easier to buy from the same climate or north, rather than from the south. A southern plant may have broken dormancy in the spring before I can get it in the ground, and may not have hardened off in the fall.

I am in eastern Massachusetts, zone 6.

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher