nafex - [NAFEX] Redstart Currant

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Redstart Currant
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:15:31 -0400

It's finally spring. As usual, everything is full of promise. Lots of flower buds on my baby apricot, and most everything made it through the winter. Buds swelling right and left. I think this is my favorite season to garden - nothing has been destroyed by insects, eaten by deer, etc., yet.

I did have one winter failure. My redstart currant, which has been ailing ever since I transplanted it a couple of years ago. Maybe if I had cut back the top more, it would have made it. . .? Anyhow, I really liked the cultivar. It has an attractive growth habit, it has tasty fruit (yes, I think some red currants taste better than others) and it was extremely productive - which is probably what did it in - poor thing tried too hard to fruit when it should have been growing more root.

If anyone could sell me a redstart currant, either this spring or this fall, I would be grateful. Massachusetts has a complicated patchwork of laws regarding currants (red ones are legal in some counties, but not others) and even though it is legal to ship red currants to my address, most of the big operations don't want to bother keeping track of the Mass. laws, and just restrict the whole state. So it's hard for me to shop for specific cultivars. (I got mine from Nourse, which is located in Mass., and actually tracks the country-by-county laws. But they have replaced it with Rovada in their catalog.)

Thanks,
Ginda

p.s. I see that my Crandall currant is beginning to sprout. In another week or two or three, I should be able to dig up some suckers for the people who asked for them.