nafex - Re: [NAFEX] gypsum / sheetrock

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] gypsum / sheetrock
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:53:43 -0400

On Apr 16, 2005, at 9:21 AM, Del Stubbs wrote:

A fellow orchardist uses sheetrock (gypsum board ) to both add gypsum and smother sod and
kill weeds around new trees. Since we are on heavy clay I reckon gypsum is a good idea,
and I am sure I could access sheetrock cuttoffs by the truckload from local contractors.
My only concern is what is in the product besides gypsum - as I may start the process of
organic certification soon. Paper, glue and gypsum sounds pretty innocuous, anybody know
if there is any objectionable stuff in sheetrock? Other commnentary? Del

If you are contemplating getting certified, before applying ANYTHING check with the agency you intend to certify with.

I just took a fast look at my 2004 print version of the OMRI (organic materials review institute) generic list. It says: "Gypsum - mined source: Nonsynthertic, Calcium sulfate; only mined forms are acceptable. See Gypsum By-products and Mined Minerals - Unprocessed." The next item says: "Gypsum By-Products: Synthetic. Gypsum produced as a by-product of superphosphate manufacture . . . from precipitation of sulfur-dioxide gas with limestone, or from dry-wall rejects is prohibited".

So it sounds to me like you'd better not use it. But you could check with a certifying agency to be sure.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly