nafex - RE: [NAFEX] indoor lighting

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: <griffingardens@earthlink.net>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] indoor lighting
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:59:51 -0800

Dave,
I use the clamp lights that Tom Olenio described in a previous post. I
don't know why the standard shop light fluorescents didn't work well for
me. One thing is I think they fade over time. Another problem is the
long tube fluorescents need to be an inch or two above the seedlings
which was hard to do as the seedlings grew more than a couple of inches.
My tomato seedlings were doing OK but not as well as I wanted. I can
cram a lot more lumens (light) into the same space with compact
fluorescents, and the seedlings I have produced this winter really seem
to be thriving on this simple set-up of only $7 per bulb. I would like
to have a 1000 watt halide system like Bernie, but I would also like a
$1000 greenhouse. Right now I am keeping my system cheap. One thing I
am going to try is Doreen's suggestion of adding a fan. The seedling
response to movement should contribute to hardening off the seedlings
under the lights.
-Mark Lee, Seattle, USDA cold zone 8a, AHS heat zone 3

>>Dave wrote . . .
As I understand it, these are the ones that fit into a socket such as
you
would have on a desk lamp. What sort of fixture do you use then that
would
put the light immediately above the plants in a long bank of flats? I am
thinking about something that would replace my four chain-hung shop
lights
in a double row 8' long.

Dave
central MN