nafex - [NAFEX] Awesome Indoor Lighting

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <BNikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Awesome Indoor Lighting
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:13:41 -0800

Since we have been talking about indoor lighting, here's what I use, and it
can't be beat in my opinion.
1/ I bought a 1000 watt metal halide lamp and refector hood from an RCMP
auction (they raid the indoor pot growers and auction off their equipment).
So for $150 Canadian I got a new system thats over $500 brand new.
2/ I grown tomato seedlings or new grafted trees under florescent bulbs, but
this only works for a week or two as the light is too weak.
3/ I then put them in my garage under the 1000 watt metal halide lamp (the
lamp raises and lowers on a chain from the ceiling). I have a plastic sheet
wall around the tables that the pots with the plants are on, making a small
room 10' x10'. The plastic wall is dark on one side, but white on the
inside. Its inexpensive and you get them at any hydroponics store.
4/ Every second watering I use 50% strength of the recommended hydroponic
solution fertilizer in the pots with the plants. Every second watering just
water.
The plants do almost too well. Its a jungle. You can't believe the thick
luxuriant growth on everything. You do have to harden them off before
transplanting outside. But I'd say the growth is totally comparable to
having them in a greenhouse under ideal conditions with this method. I
leave the light on for about 12 - 16 hours a day, at night when the
temperature is the lowest as the light makes the room about 10F warmer than
the rest of the garage.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta