nafex - Re: [NAFEX] direct seeding

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] direct seeding
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 23:55:35 -0500

On Feb 20, 2005, at 6:49 PM, Stephen Sadler wrote:

Have some of you tried direct seeding of tomatoes, impatiens, etc.? I read
years ago that direct seeded plants would catch up with, and overtake,
indoor-started plants in terms of size, vigor, and production. Back in my
zone 7 (ahs heat zone 3-7, Sunset 7) garden I found this to be clearly true
when I planted identical varieties side by side. My greenhouse started
plants were very healthy, but never came close to the eventual size,
quality, and productivity of plants from direct seeding that took place the
same day the indoor starts were transplanted into the garden. I now direct
seed anything that will germinate fairly quickly. My first pickings are
later, but the yield and quality is higher. What I wonder is whether there
is a zone limitation to the effect? Some of you may want to try the same
side-by-side experiment.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

Here in eastern Mass, zone 6, I have a casual experiment every year. I plant potted tomato plants, and seedling come up from the cherry tomatoes that fell and rotted last year. The direct seeded plants are vigorous, but they fruit a month or more after the potted plants. They don't germinate until the potted ones are in bloom.

I have found that using larger little pots makes a huge difference. Deeper matters more than wider. Trying not to disturb the roots during transplant helps, too.

Ginda