nafex - [NAFEX] USPS shipping efficiency

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] USPS shipping efficiency
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:48:27 -0800 (PST)

Another lister & I were discussing how best to ship scionwood. Primarily, the
timing of it. My concern is anything shipped late in the week, even via
"Priority
Mail", is going to sit in a warehouse on Sunday & any holiday. But, in these
days
of needed-it-yesterday, and competition with other carriers, does USPS keep
the mail
moving 24/7 ?

The other issue is, does one or 2 days' extra exposure to warm temperatures
matter?
Certainly some fruit species break dormancy easier than others, and I suspect
some
apple cultivars break easier than others. I figure any little thing we can
do to
prevent dormancy break of scionwood is an advantage in grafting. So, how much
should we worry about prompt shipping?

Thanks for any input on these questions!

Tanis Cuff, s.WI, cold & wintery, no dormancy break today!