nafex - Re: [NAFEX] indoor lighting

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] indoor lighting
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:07:30 -0500

I use ordinary household fluorescent lights, half "white" and half "warm", and my plants seem very happy.

Ginda

On Feb 19, 2005, at 9:42 PM, Doreen Howard wrote:

Interesting about the CF fluorescent bulbs. I'll try a couple above house plants in the east window of my sunroom where the light is weak.

Mark, if your tomato plants were leggy, they may have not been close enough to the light source. It should always be about 2 inches above plant tops. Also, air from a fan to move their stems is important. The hormone released is what makes stems thicker. I've never had leggy tomato plants or any leggy plants when I use the lights close to the plant and have air moving constantly.

One thing I forgot to write in my original post is that the fluorescent lights need to be on 16-18 hours daily. Use a cheap timer to simplify things.
Doreen Howard