nafex - Re: [NAFEX] potted fruit plant

  • From: BTCJOHNSTONE@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] potted fruit plant
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:18:50 EST

You may want to give Meyer lemon a try. I am in a very cloudy zone 7 but they never fail to produce a fair number of fruit year round. They are  fairly cold hardy and I only bring them in just before freezing in order to minimize mites. If you have ever smelled a truly tree ripened lemon or tried a wedge in a gin and tonic then you will know what citrus is supposed to be. Meyer has  an additional advantage of being almost as easy as fuschia to propagate and has a tendency to be naturally dwarfing with no understock (i.e. the plants are cheap to reproduce and you'll make a lot of friends by passing them on ). I got my original plant from Monrovia Nursery.

    Just a thought.