nafex - RE: [NAFEX] potted fruit plant

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] potted fruit plant
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:27:26 -0800

Lee,

The biggest problem avocado growers have is keeping the roots dry. Avos
like very well-drained soil. I wonder if even the water dish under a
planter would keep the root tips too moist, or if your planting mixture is
sandy enough.

We live in an avopossible zone, but trees are a rarity. It's not the mild
cold, but the 12 inches of rain we get in our Mediterranean-climate winter
doesn't drain away fast enough. Outdoor growers need a large, raised, pot
with sandy/rocky soil, or need to dig out an area and replace the topsoil
with a custom blend.

Of course, grafting a second variety is a likely answer, as you said. I
know you know what you're doing!

Good luck!

~ Stephen