nafex - Re: [NAFEX] potted fruit plant

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, breen@fedcoseeds.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] potted fruit plant
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:39:53 -0500

Thanks for all the good ideas. I need something drought tolerant, and not too big. At the moment I'm leaning towards a calemondin or kumquat, because I know I can grow citrus indoors. But some of the other ideas are intriguing. Neither is great to eat (to my palate) but they make a nice relish and the flowers smell great.

Folks have suggested figs and peaches and persimmons and pomegranate, but don't they need a cold dormant period to thrive? Of these, if I could grow a miniature peach or pomegranate, I would give it a try. Anyone know a source for a dwarf pomegranate?

I love the idea of passion flower. The vine could grow up my cactus. :) the one time I had a plant it died (lack of water) but that was when I was ten, who knows, I might do better now. Alpine strawberries are small enough that I don't need to use up my "big" space for them. I will have to give them a try indoors and see what happens. Hey - inside I wouldn't lose all the fruit to birds and chipmunks. I think I have a good pot for that.

The Surinam Cherry looks intriguing. I've never heard of a strawberry guava, either.

Thanks again. I'll let you know what I get.

Ginda