nafex - Re: [NAFEX] potted fruit plant

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] potted fruit plant
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:34:48 EST

In a message dated 1/13/2005 7:05:42 AM US Eastern Standard Time, loneroc@mwt.net writes:

I found a really nice Meyer lemon ('improved'=virus free)in a two gallon pot
at Wal-Mart for about 10 bucks last fall.  I don't know how they can make
money at that price.  I guess that's why Sam Walton was a gazillionaire and
I'm about breaking even.

The lemon may have been only a seedling of Meyer, saving grafting handling costs. Just dropped the seed in the pot and let it grow and sell. I'm told it is perfectly legal to sell seedlings named as the seed parent.

Example: A few years ago I purchased two Dustan hybrid chestnuts. The Dustan was hybridized from Chinese and American chestnut to have resistance to the Chestnut Blight. Mine lived about 5 years and I did get crops a few years, then they both croaked. Upon checking it out I was told of it's likely being a seedling. When asked isn't that illegal the answer was no, that is perfectly legal. Be sure the named variety tree you purchase is grafted not a seedling of.

Jerry