nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 21, Issue 69

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@containerseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 21, Issue 69
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:15:41 -0400

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:49:16 -0400, you wrote:

>On Oct 30, 2004, at 1:31 PM, tanis cuff wrote:
>
>> . . .tried Jostaberry but deer devoured it. . . .
>
>Funny you should mention that. A friend gave me a cutting of her
>jostaberry a few weeks ago. I just noticed that it has already been
>seriously damaged by deer. They've never bothered my currants, and
>have only bothered one apple tree (Ashmeads), and I rarely see any
>other damage.
>
>Has anyone else noticed special deer pressure on jostaberry?

Something - believed to be deer - ate all the leaves off my
gooseberries and jostaberry overnight - in one night. I
suppose it could have been a woodchuck. But I suspect deer.
I don't think it could have been insect damage, because
caging the plants with chicken-wire totally stopped it, and
it has not recurred.

This was last year and the plants were just young (we had
planted them only a few months before that).

The gooseberries survived and leafed out again, the
jostaberry didn't.

The gooseberries are now enclosed in chicken-wire cages, and
when we get another jostaberry next spring, it too will be
enclosed in a chicken-wire cage (at least while it's young).
And our blueberries are also caged. We've learned that we
need to do this.

Pat

--
Coming soon: www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful