nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 21, Issue 69

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 21, Issue 69
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:31:31 +0000

I'm also trying to grow some pears, but rootstocks are a problem. Have tried bush cherries & apricots, but they didn't seem worth the fuss here; might try again. Red currants grow like weeds; tried Jostaberry but deer devoured it. Amelanchiers don't want to grow-- probably a soil pH/nutrient fault. (Deer also like these.) Wild black cherries, wild grapes, elderberries, plums grow freely all over, tho plums seem to be declining. Wild blackberries fruit massively in road ditches which have good soil, plenty of sun, and deep snow drifts in winter. This was a great year for black raspberries. The biggest fruit problem this year was rain-- it watered down the flavors.

Vole & rabbit foil: I try to find the wide (18" ?) foil, heavy-duty, and one layer is enough. Need to crimp the wrapped edges, or the wind gradually peals the foil off. If I see a lot of vole activity, I might use 2-3 layers of regular foil. If the winter is bad, and voles many, and the trunk had injury on it, the voles will find it and nibble thru the foil. If voles are this desperate, you might see damage in Sept already. This is why other people use wire window screen. Be sure to get the edge of foil/screen down into the soil as far as practical.