nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:53:14 -0500

At 09:03 AM 7/15/2004 -0700, you wrote:
I havent heard anything about this "Packy" and
Stearns. Could you share some more details?

Rob,
Packy is a mulberry that, if I recall correctly - and Gordon can correct if I'm wrong - Gordon received or purchased as 'Pakistan', but it wasn't; fruited for me for the first time last year, and I wasn't all that impressed with the fruit flavor, but this year it was very good - berries not as long as Illinois, but more plump, and with a good sweet/tart balance.

Stearns, I got from a fellow nut/fruit enthusiast in NJ - it is, I presume, a M.albaXrubra hybrid, like Illinois Everbearing. Berries are similar to IE in size and flavor. Other than that I don't know or recall anything more about it.

I meant to comment on Wellington(or at least the tree was purchased as Wellington). Not a keeper for me. It's been in the ground for at least 6 or 7 years, has a very trashy, unkempt growth habit - I can't make it be a single-trunked tree. Experiences lots of winter dieback every year, and produced just a few small, dry, not-so-flavorful berries this year. Something else will be growing in its spot pretty soon.

Lucky